3 June 2015

Slaying the Dragon

I’m taking part in the infamous Wiggle Dragon Ride this Sunday, and I’m scared


After last year’s 60-mile London to Cambridge I really wanted to do something longer and more challenging. A 100-mile ride was the obvious choice. I applied for the London 100, but unfortunately didn’t get in. It’s a hugely popular ride with many thousands more applying than can be accepted.

So when my bike buddy Claire said she’d signed up for the Wiggle Dragon Ride, I decided I’d give it a go too. I left it late to sign up so had to apply via the official charity, Macmillan Cancer Support. This meant I had to raise a minimum of £200 in order to take part. The generosity of my fabulous friends and family means I’ve actually raised more than this.

There are four main options in the ride: Corto, which is 43km; Medio Fondo, 153km; Gran Fondo, 226km; and Dragon Devil, a whopping 302km. There’s also a women’s only Cycletta of 43km. Claire and I have gone for the Medio. I’d love to do something like the Devil, but I’m not sure I could manage it in a day. Maybe that’s something to work up to …

There’s also a three-day Dragon Tour, which takes places over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday involves riding 102km, Saturday 96km, then on Sunday riders choose one of the distances above. So the really intrepid could do a total of 500km in three days. Wow.

I have to admit I’m really quite nervous. In fact I’m nervous about pretty much all of it! Going to Wales on my own (I’ve never been to Wales), getting my bike to Paddington (I’ve never taken my bike on public transport in London), even using airbnb for the first time (I didn’t even know what to do about breakfast!).
It’s hard to train for hills in London – we simply don’t have any
So I’ve been breaking it all down into more manageable chunks. My train tickets are booked and I’ve got a bike space. The airbnb is booked and I emailed about the breakfast – she puts out some cereals, bread, eggs, fruit and so on and we just make our own. I’m probably going to take a taxi to Paddington. So all my fears are being conquered one by one.

Which just leaves the ride itself. And it’s terrifying. It’s not so much the distance I’m worried about. I’ve not ridden 153km before, but my longest solo ride was 101km. It’s easier to do it in a group with support, so I’m pretty confident I can do the full 153.

What I don’t feel prepared for, though, is the hills. It’s hard to train for hills in London. We simply don’t have any. Not proper ones. I’ve changed my routes into and from work to incorporate a few up-and-down bits and I’ve been trying to take these faster and in higher gears to strengthen my legs, but there’s really no substitute for the real thing. And let’s face it, up-and-down bits in London are nothing like the hills I’ll encounter in Wales. My rides out into the Essex countryside have also included some hilly parts, but again not Welsh-style hilly parts.

I’ve put in a lot of training and I rack up a lot of miles over a week. My general fitness is really quite good and my legs are pretty strong. Despite all that, though, those hills really do scare me. This is going to be an incredibly challenging ride, and I hope I’m up to it. Will I slay the Dragon, or will it slay me? I guess there’s only one way to find out!

By the way, you can still sponsor me via my Just Giving page.

Me having finished the London to Cambridge. Look how happy I am!

3 comments:

  1. We'll slay that Dragon! Between us we have everything that we need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A car with a trailer ;-) Good Luck both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An ambulance might help! Thanks Mike.

    ReplyDelete