8 July 2014

Review: Abus Liix Design Sumo lock

I like this lock which combines cute good looks with some sturdy protection



The Abus Liix Design Sumo lock.
Bike locks aren’t the most exciting of purchases. A lock’s job is to keep your bike secure, and so long as it does that then anything else is unimportant. Unless, of course, you’re like me. I want a lock that looks good in addition to performing well.

The Liix Design lock from Abus is wrapped in material with a red and white polka dot pattern. The print makes it look ultra cute. But that cuteness disguises a really heavy-duty chain-link lock, while the locking mechanism itself is encased in thick plastic. I haven’t had any qualms about leaving my bike while it’s protected by the Sumo.

The lock wraps nicely around my handlebar post.
Photo by Idoru Knits.
The polka-dot material is pretty thick, so nicely protects my paintwork from getting chipped by the metal chain. It’s also waterproof so should help keep the lock rust free – an important feature in rainy ol’ Britain. When not in use it wraps neatly around the handlebar post, keeping it well out of my way when I’m cycling.

I’ve got the 85cm version, and this is the longest available. It’s just long enough to fit through the front wheel, frame and round a handy post. I would have preferred something a bit longer, maybe 100cm. But then it wouldn’t fit so snugly around my handlebar post, so swings and roundabouts really.

The print makes it look ultra cute, but that cuteness disguises a really heavy-duty chain-link lock
I’ve also found that the key can quite easily fall out of the lock, which means I’m quite likely to lose it. My other lock securely held onto the key until the locking mechanism was fully engaged, which felt a lot safer.

This lock is available from Amazon for £32.99, plus p&p. I bought the product myself.

Pros
• Heavy-duty metal chain
• Protective covering
• Looks good

Cons
• Could be longer
• Key falls out

No comments:

Post a Comment