22 May 2014

London by bike

A bike, Google Maps and an iPhone are all you need to explore our great capital city


One of the great things that my bikes have done for me is really open up London. Anywhere within a 20-mile radius of my house is in striking distance, without having to find a route by public transport.

Kenwood House in Hampstead.
Photo by IdoruKnits.

And it’s so easy. All I do is think of somewhere I might like to visit and look it up on Google Maps. Using the bike directions service, I programme the route into my phone, which then attaches to my handlebars, and just follow the blue line. It isn’t perfect, sometimes the route updates rather slowly and I end up missing a turning, and when it’s sunny it’s impossible to see the screen until I cycle through a shaded bit. But it mostly works and it’s mostly great.
What’s really nice about cycling is that the journey becomes part of your day out
So far my adventures have taken me to Victoria Park, an exhibition of bugs made from rubbish at Pitfield Gallery, Kenwood House and Highgate. I’ve also got plans to visit Mudchute City Farm, Greenwich Park, Rye Meads RSPB reserve and Richmond. Tate Modern is within easy reach, which I’ll probably combine with a walk to Borough Market. I always choose places with nice cafes or pubs, where I can have a sit down and a spot of lunch.

I’ve got a couple of favourite shorter rides too. One to Stoke Newington via Walthamstow Marshes and one to the Butler’s Retreat on the edge of Epping Forest. This weekend I'm planning a trip to Battersea Park via Victoria Park, along the Lea River and Hertford Union Canal.

Abney Park Cemetery in Stoke Newington.
Photo by IdoruKnits.

What’s really nice about cycling is that the journey becomes part of your day out. My ride to Kenwood House took me past a stunning art deco cinema that I would never have seen had I not been on the bike. The ride to Victoria Park takes me along the River Lea and through Walthamstow and Hackney Marshes – it’s almost like being in the countryside.

I’ve started taking photos while I’m out and about, sharing them on Instagram and Twitter (I'm idoruknits on the former and @IdoruKnits on the latter if you want to find me). I hashtag them #londonbybike and I’m hoping to get others doing the same - wouldn’t it be great to share all our photos of our bike trips in the city? So next time you’re cycling somewhere, take some shots and Tweeting! Remember the hashtag, though, so that I can search for your photos.

Beautiful Rhododendron in the gardens
of Kenwood House. Photo by IdoruKnits.

No comments:

Post a Comment